PETERBOROUGH, Ont., Wednesday, October 11, 2017 – Today, the Peterborough Chamber of Commerce in partnership with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) released Vote Prosperity, a platform and campaign outlining the Ontario business community’s priorities for the upcoming 2018 provincial election. Vote Prosperity provides a series of proactive recommendations that all of Ontario’s political parties should adopt to ensure growth for the province’s economy.
Vote Prosperity Report
“93% of Peterborough Chamber members are small business. They support working families in our local community and across the province, and that’s why candidates from every party in every community will want to become familiar with Vote Prosperity,” said Stuart Harrison, President & CEO, Peterborough Chamber of Commerce. “Ontario’s business community is prepared to be bold about making suggestions for ensuring future growth and with Vote Prosperity we are seeking to motivate our political leaders to follow.”
In releasing the platform today, the Ontario Chamber Network will strengthen the political narrative between now and the 2018 election. Vote Prosperity is based on four aspirational pillars for Ontario:
- Strengthen business competitiveness: Rising input costs, especially those costs deriving from government regulation and policy, are the most common and acute concern of the business community in Ontario.
- Foster Job Creation: A robust labour market consisting of good jobs is essential to prosperity for all Ontarians.
- Build Healthy Communities: Building strong communities through adequate and affordable housing, sustainable health care, and good infrastructure also supports business prosperity and growth, which supports those communities.
- Improve Government Accountability: Poor implementation of government initiatives can result in resource waste, political frustration and disruption for ordinary citizens.
The platform provides 18 unique recommendations that will help bolster Ontario’s long-term economic future, while also addressing the pressing issues Ontario currently faces. Some of the 18 recommendations in Vote Prosperity include:
- Reinstating scheduled reductions in the Corporate Income Tax, standardize the Business Education Tax and reduce the Employer Health Tax.
- Modernize the apprenticeship system through the journeyperson to apprentice ratio to help alleviate some of the challenges employers face to recruit journeypersons to hire additional apprentices
- Conduct and publish the results for a comprehensive review of the electricity sector, including an objective economic impact analysis assessing the full range of inputs that make up the Global Adjustment (GA), and then pursue cost-reducing measures based on the results.
- Focus on strategic growth policies by ensuring that land use planning and development regulations are aligned, to increase density and create more housing stock.
- Create a meaningful plan to tackle the debt and more towards balanced or surplus budgets.
“We are glad to see our work around apprenticeship ratios be recognized in this report,” adds Harrison. “ Our members have been telling us that this is an area for improvement, so to have it be part of the election dialogue is a good step forward.”
Over the coming months, ahead of the 2018 election, the Ontario Chamber Network will be voicing the concerns and recommendations outlined in Vote Prosperity with political parties and local MPPs and candidates. During the election, local chambers will be hosting debates where Vote Prosperity will be the primary focus of discussion.
Peterborough Chamber: Provincial Election 2018: Vote Prosperity Advocacy Page
The Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce is a member-based organization. Our main focus is to channel the collective strength of the business community to improve the economy. #strengtheningbusiness
The Ontario Chamber of Commerce is Ontario’s independent, non-partisan business advocate.
Policy Analyst/Communications Specialist
Peterborough Chamber of Commerce
705.748.9771 x 215