Municipal election campaigns are officially underway!
The deadline for all prospective candidates to file their papers was Friday, August 19. Official candidate lists will filter out in coming days — all in preparation for election day on Oct. 24
As a Chamber of Commerce, our role is to be non-partisan advocates for the local business community.
We have an ambitious plan to engage the community and candidates this fall by hosting nine election debates — an in-person mayoral debate in the city and eight Zoom debates in the townships of Peterborough County.
• Monday, Sept. 26 5:30 – 7:00 pm — Township of Douro-Dummer (via Zoom)
• Monday, Sept. 26 7:30 – 9:00 pm — Township of Asphodel-Norwood (via Zoom)
• Tuesday, Sept. 27 5:30 – 7:00 pm — Township of Otonabee-South Monaghan (via Zoom)
• Tuesday, Sept. 27 7:30 – 9:00 pm — Municipality of Trent Lakes (via Zoom)
• Wednesday, Sept. 28 5:30 – 7:00 pm — Township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen (via Zoom)
• Wednesday, Sept. 28 7:30 – 9:00 pm — Township of Cavan Monaghan (via Zoom)
• Thursday, Sept. 29 5:30 – 7:00 pm — Selwyn Township (via Zoom)
• Thursday, Sept. 29 7:30 – 9:00 pm — Township of North Kawartha (via Zoom)
• Thursday, Oct. 6 7:00 – 8:30 pm — City of Peterborough mayoral debate (in person and streamed on YouTube)
Ward councillor candidates in the City of Peterborough will be provided with a questionnaire on local issues and we’ll be sure to share their feedback online.
The last two years have shown the power of streaming events like political debates online. Our provincial election debate in the fall garnered 1,400 YouTube views and our federal election debate the year before had 3,200 views. And that’s just YouTube. The debates were posted on other social media channels and broadcast on YourTV. We’re reaching more people than ever before.
We will also be hosting an election page at pkchamber.ca with the latest information on local candidates, issues and events.
You can also find municipality-specific election information here:
• City of Peterborough
• Township of Asphodel-Norwood
• Township of Cavan Monaghan
• Township of Douro-Dummer
• Township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen
• Township of North Kawartha
• Township of Otonabee-South Monaghan
• Township of Selwyn
• Municipality of Trent Lakes
The biggest factor in the effectiveness of our election advocacy program is you! We need you to be part of the process — engaging the candidates, attending debates and submitting questions/issues. We need to hear from businesses and the community at large on what are the pressing issues your council should address in the next four years (send them to firstname.lastname@example.org). As the voice of business in Peterborough and the Kawarthas, our role is best served with an engaged community that amplifies our voice in advocating for a stronger region.
It's up to all of us to elect leaders that will put their attention and energy to invest in what our communities need — and not in isolation, but as a region. We need homes that are affordable and accessible to new home owners. We need to ensure everyone has access to fast and reliable internet. We need solutions for poverty that is becoming far too visible to ignore.
Take some time over the next couple of months to get to know your local candidates, the issues, and attend one of the numerous events being hosted by the Chamber and other community organizations. An informed and engaged community is good for democracy and the health of our region.